Share

Friday, November 25, 2016

Delicious Chocolate Honey Walnut Phyllo Log

I made a Bulgarian banitsa for Thanksgiving yesterday. Today, I made some super simple phyllo dough pastries with saffron-scrambled eggs, two cheeses, and pine nuts! I will post both recipes soon. This afternoon, my project was to use the remaining 12 phyllo sheets and a half bag of walnuts because their expiration date seemed eminent... My idea was to make some sort of walnut honey phyllo triangles, but I ended up making cinnamon walnut honey phyllo logs with chocolate and marshmallows in one half and nutmeg in the other (just in case adding either ingredient made it taste terrible!) It turned out rather well and seems very tasty! Here is what it looks like all finished!
Ingredients
- 2 cups finely-chopped walnuts (*optional to chop them while watching Ancient Aliens)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (and some more sprinkling of it too)
- 1/4 tsp salt (seemed like a good idea)
- nutmeg to sprinkle
- egg wash (one egg w/ splash of milk)
- melted butter 
                      
Here's what I did...
- Added honey, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt into a small saucepan and cooked for a few minutes on medium heat until it was a nice mixture. I ended up sprinkling some more cinnamon in the pot twice...
- Made egg wash and melted butter
- Buttered cookie sheet and placed one phyllo layer upon it
- Drizzled some butter over it and added another sheet
- Drizzled egg wash over this one
- Added 12 sheets, alternating between butter and egg wash. On top of sheets 5 and 9, I added a stripe of chocolate, some marshmallows (just on one side and just because it seemed interesting. At sheet 10, I added a healthy dusting of nutmeg and a drizzle of honey.
- Finally, I spread the walnut/honey mix from left to right across the middle of the sheets
- Next, I rolled it up into a log and drizzled egg wash and then some butter over the top.
- I added a glop of walnut mix on the top and a stripe of chocolate on one side.
- BAKE at 325 for 30 minutes (* possibly taking it out a few minutes early to add marshmallows so they can toast on the top, if you like that sort of thing...) The temp and time were averages of what I found via the internetz for honey walnut triangles or walnut rolls...
- End result = DELICIOUS and now I have a treat for the whole weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment