Share

Sunday, December 13, 2015

#AdventWord #WONDER - "I Wonder as I Wander"

Today's #AdventWord is #WONDER
This word, especially in the season of Advent, makes me immediately recall the choral piece I Wonder as I Wander. So, I share the text and two versions here. 
1. Sung by the classy Julie Andrews HERE
2. Choral version sung by the Cambridge Singers under John Rutter's direction - HERE
About I wonder as I Wander 
From John Jacob Niles' visit to Murphy, North Carolina in the early 1930's, and later published in his collection entitled, Songs of the Hill Folk, this song is hauntingly beautiful. A true Appalachian lament.


I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How Jesus the Saviour did come for to die
For poor on'ry people like you and like I;
I wonder as I wander out under the sky

When Mary birthed Jesus 'twas in a cow's stall
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all
But high from God's heaven, a star's light did fall
And the promise of ages it then did recall.

If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing
A star in the sky or a bird on the wing
Or all of God's Angels in heaven to sing
He surely could have it, 'cause he was the King

I wonder as I wander out under the sky
How Jesus the Saviour did come for to die
For poor on'ry people like you and like I;
I wonder as I wander out under the sky
‪#‎Episcopal‬ ‪#‎Anglican‬ ‪#‎SSJE‬ ‪#‎EDOLA‬ AdventWord was created by SSJE (The Society of St. John the Evangelist) and is the Anglican Communion's Global Advent Calendar. I'm using it as a daily meditation, prayer, photo post, and a way to connect in spirit to millions during this season of light and hope. You can join me in creating your own. Just take a picture and post it with the day's AdventWord tags! Click HERE for their website and for their daily AdventWords.

No comments:

Post a Comment